Augmentin is an oral antibacterial agent consisting of two main components – semisynthetic antibiotic amoxicillin and the β-lactamase inhibitor, clavulanate potassium (the potassium salt of clavulanic acid).
Amoxicillin is derivative of the basic penicillin nucleus; clavulanic acid is produced by Streptomyces clavuligerus fermentation. The acid is close to penicillin with properties to restrict the active sites of β-lactamases enzymes. The acid is effective against the plasmid-mediated β-lactamases which is proven to be responsible for the development of drug resistance to penicillins and cephalosporins.
Augmentin is available in the dosage forms of film coated tablets. The medicine like any other antibiotic agent should be used to treat infectious diseases which are proven to be caused by bacteria susceptible to the drug.
This drug is a penicillin antibiotic, which fights bacteria in the human body.
Augmentin contains a combination of clavulanate potassium and amoxicillin.
Ameugntin included in the group of drugs called penicillins.
The patients may use Augmentin for treatment different infections caused by bacteria:
- ear infections,
- urinary tract infections,
- infections of the skin.
The patients shouldn’t use it if he has allergic to any other penicillin antibiotic:
-PC Pen VK
Do not use this drug if you have ever had liver problems caused by Augmentin, or if you are allergic to clavulanate potassium or amoxicillin.
Do not use thids drug if you have allergic reaction to clavulanate potassium and amoxicillin , or if you have ever had liver problems caused by . Do not use if you are allergic to any other penicillin antibiotic: ampicillin (Unasyn, Principen), penicillin (PC Pen VK,Bicillin L-A, Pfizerpen),amoxicillin ( Moxatag, Amoxil, Dispermox,Augmentin), oxacillin (Bactocill), dicloxacillin (Dynapen, Dycill).
To make sure you can safely take Augmentin,consult with provider if you have the next problems:
•a history of jaundice or hepatitis (liver disease);
• mononucleosis; or
• if you have allergy to a cephalosporin antibiotic:cefprozil (Cefzil), cefdinir (Omnicef), cephalexin (Keflex), cefuroxime (Ceftin), and others.
The patient who used Augmentin may have allergy to this drGet emergency medical help if you have any of these signug: swelling of your face, swelling of your lips, swelling of your swelling of your tongue, or throat; difficulty breathing; hives.
The patient must stop using Augmentin and call your specialist at once if he has the next less serious side effects:
- mild diarrhea,
- vaginal yeast infection ( discharge or itching );
- nausea or vomiting;
- stomach pain;
- white patches in your throat
- skin itching or rash;
- white patches in your mouth;
Tell your health care provider about all other medicaments you use, for example:
• an antibiotic such as clarithromycin (Biaxin),azithromycin (Zithromax), telithromycin (Ketek);erythromycin ( Ery-Tab,E.E.S.,Erythrocin,EryPed.)
• Benemid (probenecid);
• Coumadin (warfarin) -a blood thinner
• a tetracycline antibiotic such as tetracycline (Panmycin,Brodspec, Tetracap, Sumycin, ), demeclocycline (Declomycin),minocycline (Solodyn,Dynacin,Vectrin, Minocin), doxycycline (Doryx, Adoxa, Vibramycin,Oracea).
• Gantanol,Bactrim,Septra, SMX-TMP,Gantrisin and others sulfa drugs.
This drug (Amoxicillin) may provoke the next sirious side effects:
• sores or white patches on your lips or inside your mouth ;
• swollen glands, fever, joint pain, itching or rash;
• red skin rash or severe peeling,blistering;
• yellowed or pale skin,dark colored urine, yellowing of the eyes, fever, weaknes or sconfusion;
• numbness,severe tingling, muscle weakness, pain ; or
• unusual bleeding (mouth,nose, rectum or vagina),easy bruising, red or purple pinpoint spots under your skin.
If you want to take Amoxicillin, report your provideror health care proffesional if you are allergic to any medicines (cephalosporins such as Cefzil, Omnicef, Keflex,Ceftin, and others).
And also tell your prescriber if you have the other conditions:
• liver disease;
• mononucleosis ;
• kidney disease;
• a history of any type of allergy;
• a history of diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics.
You shouldn’t take Amoxicillin if you are allergic to any penicillin antibiotic or amoxicillin , and other antibiotics such as:
• oxacillin (Bactocill); or
• dicloxacillin (Dynapen,Dycill );
• penicillin (PC Pen VK,Bicillin C-R, Pfizerpen, Pen-V, and others);
• ampicillin (Principen,Omnipen ).